Avid Armor's Take on Ice Cream in a Bag
Summer is in full swing and one of the best ways to beat the heat this season is with ice cream! We all know that ice cream tastes better if you make it yourself, so here is our take on ice cream in a bag. This is a great activity to do with the kiddos, and get them involved in the kitchen. This recipe is a lot of fun, it only involves a few key ingredients, and it’s super simple to do at home.
We opted to use a chamber vacuum machine for this recipe because one of the largest benefits of using a chamber machine is how well they can handle sealing liquid items. Using a chamber vacuum sealer also helps infuse the flavor of the strawberries and vanilla with the half and half. And since we’re using vacuum bags instead of traditional ziplock bags this recipe is leak-proof, so no need to worry about any potential spills.
Pro-Tip: when vacuum sealing liquids using a chamber vacuum machine, make sure you only fill the bags up halfway or less. This is to ensure that while the vacuum cycle is running, no liquids bubble up and spill out of the pouch.
To get the full recipe, watch how we did it on YouTube, or continue reading below.
Equipment We Used
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups Ice
- ⅔ Cups Salt
- Toppings of your choice - We used fresh strawberries, strawberry syrup, and vanilla wafers.
- In the 10 x 13 chamber vacuum pouch combine the half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla.
- We added chopped strawberries to this mixture to add some extra flavor.
- Vacuum seal the half-and-half mixture using your chamber vacuum sealer.
- In a 11 x 13 chamber vacuum pouch combine ice and salt. Place the sealed bag with the half-and-half mixture inside the bigger chamber vacuum pouch with the ice and salt.
- You may have to fold the excess of the chamber bag up a little bit so it fits inside the bigger bag nicely.
- Using your chamber vacuum sealer, seal that 11 x 13 sized bag, externally.
- We did a seal only, to leave room in the bag to shake up the ice.
- Once that 11 x 13 bag has been sealed, shake it for 7 to 10 minutes, until ice cream is solid.
- Open the bag of ice and remove the bag containing the half-and-half mixture. Open the half-and-half mixture and scoop out the ice cream.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like chocolate sauce, sprinkles, etc. We opted to use strawberries, strawberry syrup, and vanilla wafers.